Fresh spring rolls with spicy tofu and honey peanut sauce
These fresh spring rolls are so tasty you'll forget you're doing your body a whole lot of good by eating them. For real.
Fresh spring rolls
With spicy tofu and honey peanut sauce
- 1 pack mung bean vermicelli
- 3 carrots, julienned
- ½ seedless cucumber, julienned
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- Green onion, sliced lengthwise
- ½ block extra firm tofu, sliced
- 15 spring roll wrappers
- ½ cup tamari
- ¼ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons hot oil
- For peanut sauce
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup crunchy peanut butter
- 6 tablespoons tamari
- 4 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ tablespoon Mulberry Street hot oil
- 4 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
Place tofu, tamari, rice vinegar, garlic and hot oil in a shallow bowl. Cover, place in the refrigerator and marinate for an hour.
Combine all the ingredients for the peanut sauce in a high-powered blender. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
Bring water to a boil in a medium sized saucepan. Add your vermicelli. Cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently. Drain, then set aside.
Heat a heavy skillet on med. High with 1-tablespoon olive oil. Carefully place marinated tofu in the pan. Brown the tofu on each side. Set aside.
Fill a large bowl with warm water. Place your tofu wrapper in the water for 6 seconds. Immediately set your wrapper on a cutting board and make your rolls, one by one. Put a small amount of cilantro, red pepper, cucumber, carrots, green onion, 1 slice of tofu and small bundle of vermicelli noodles in the middle of your spring roll wrapper. Carefully wrap your roll like you would wrap a tight burrito. Dip your fresh spring roll into your honey peanut sauce...